Tuesday, January 10, 2017

THE STORY OF THE LOST CHILD





Shop Indie Bookstores


The Story of the Lost Child, Elena Ferrante, Europa Editions, 2015 (translated from the Italian by Ann Goldstein) 473pp


This is the fourth and final novel in the Neapolitan Quartet by Elena Ferrante. All through the days of reading it, I was dying to know what became of Lila, who had disappeared at the beginning of My Brilliant Friend, the first novel. When I did find out, right at the very end, it was simultaneously underwhelming and wondrous. Why?

Because Ferrante planted that mystery in my mind two years ago when I read My Brilliant Friend, then in over 1000 pages in four novels told an engrossing story about the relationship between Elena and Lila, all the while keeping me in suspense. By the time I got to the end, it made total sense yet I could almost have predicted what happened. Truly a feat, the way she kept me hooked, let me participate in the story, and satisfied me with what was less than a full surprise.

No spoiler, but there is a lost child in this volume who adds another deep layer of sadness to the story.

The only other thing I can add is pretty personal. Since the timescape of these books covers approximately the same years I have lived, they have helped me make sense of much that has happened in my life, even though they are set in Italy and I am American.  I am always newly amazed how much good fiction does this for me.

It is an important activity for women all over the world to tell their stories and to read the stories of other women. I know that sounds obvious and pedantic. Sometimes the truth is obvious once one sees it. In 2016, 58% of the books I read were written by women. Since I need all the help I can get being female in this world, I think I will go for 75% in 2017!!


(The Story of the Lost Child is available in paperback by order from Once Upon A Time Bookstore.)

6 comments:

  1. Ferrante was absolutely brilliant in the manner in which she slowly built the suspense through the first three books about Lila and what had happened to her. When all was finally revealed, one could only breathe, "Of course!" It all seemed inevitable in retrospect. Wonderful series of books. I'd like to read them all again some day. I'm sure there are many things that I missed in my first reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are books I will definitely reread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is deeply satisfying when you don't see the ending coming yet it seems perfect and rather obvious in retrospect. I'm glad you finished this quartet and that you loved it as Dorothy did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for totally getting what I said!

      Delete
  4. I have not read Ferrante yet but I hope to in 2017. So many love her Neapolitan books; I look forward to them. I like when books connect with our personal lives. That's big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you just read the first one, you will either be hooked or not. My Brilliant Friend is first. Be sure to make liberal use of the character list in the front. Lots of characters and families and names. It took me a long time to learn and remember them, but if you have a paper copy it is easy to look back. I think the books relate most to us baby boomers because those are the years we have lived.

      Delete